Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Laurie's Day =)

Well yesterday was Laurie's big day! But lets back track to Sunday...It Snowed YAY!! It was exciting! And Laurie was so so excited!! She came home, woke me up and I walked outside and then went right back inside and got back in bed...that was NOT how she had envisioned the morning going at all!! In fact she envisioned it going she would pick me up and we would go over to Louise's and we would all play in it together...No didn't happen! 1st thing that started the day off way wrong...I know I really should've given her more but I really was exhausted from working all weekend and not getting a lot of sleep...I know still not a good excuse!

Well all last week she was avoiding having to drink the "throw up mix" as she would call it. Well Sunday afternoon came and it was time for her to start drinking it. She was ill and irritated bc she had not been able to eat since midnight the night before she started the liquid grossness and couldn't eat again until Tuesday afternoon/night...so yes that is 3 whole days on a clear liquid diet...which if you know Laurie...well if yo know any of the 3 of the Walker girls we can hold our own on food! :) (Ask Dirt...I think he really got a wake up marrying into our family!) So needless to say she was miserable! Well after church we all went and took pictures in the snow and then Laurie went home when we left to go eat. After lunch Nathan and I went to his house, got his Wii and went to the house. I walked back to Laurie's room and she was already in tears and she hadn't even started drinking the liquid! I was so sad for her...but I let her cry for a few minutes and she was upset bc her universal remote wasn't working. So I sent Nathan to the store to get a new remote. He came back and set it up for us so we could watch all the movies we wanted in her room. ***Side note here...Nathan was such a trooper! He stayed in the other room the whole day and played wii and took a nap so that I could stay back there with Laurie and help her!**

Well the time finally came at 3:30 for her to start drinking the throw up mix....and well she did GREAT!! I was pleasantly surprised that she took it so quickly and without a lot of hesitation! (I mean granted she fought me for a little bit about it but we compromised at 3:30 that she would start drinking it! She did really good and drank about 3/4 of all the liquid! (Which was a lot better than last time...and she didn't throw up this time or as much this time as she did the last!)

Monday morning finally got here and I got up and went in her room to check on her and she was so cheerful and in such a good mood, I was shock....Last time I had to take her she cried the whole way to the hospital! So this was a pleasant surprise! (Which in her defense..last time the whole appointment was just kinda thrown on her with no time to really prepare! So this time she had a good week to ponder on it!) We got to the hospital at 8 so she could do some extra test before the colonoscopy. Ended up that they could do the test when she went back for the procedure so we just waited an extra hour for her thing...which was pretty fun. Mom and Dad got there about 9 and her appt was at 9:30. About 9:45 she went back!

As soon as she went back mom and I left to go run all of her money errands that had to be done that day! And by the time we went to the school to pick up her paycheck and to all 3 banks when we got back to the hospital she had just went to recovery. Also while we were gone, Keisha, Laurie's best friend from work, showed up to sit and wait. (She was the one that went with me last time when I had to take her.) She was great! I was so glad she was there...and Laurie doesn't even hardly remember her being there...and she was there all day long...from the hospital and then came to the house for about 4 hours after the hospital!

When she got out of the procedure and went into recovery she was a bit emotional! Which is nothing new but this time she was jerking alot and that was not normal. I look at the nurse and I could tell by their look of surprise this was not supposed to be happening. So they asked us to please go back out into the waiting room while they worked on her. She was back there for about 2 hours and finally we got to go back to see her and get her ready for discharging. So we finally got her out about 1:30 pm. (Yes we were there at 8am :))

We got home and put her in the bed and had some fun conversations that she does not remember and gave her some Gatorade and some chicken broth and she was out til the Bachelor last night and I woke her up to come in the living room to watch with me, Leslie and Nathan...and well see my 1st blog today to see how I felt about the Bachelor!!!

I am so glad Laurie is feeling better and we are celebrating eating at Jason's deli as soon as she gets done with the dr. this afternoon at 3:30. :) Thanks for all the prayers and everyone that has checked on her!! Its greatly appreciated!!

3 comments:

LaurieR said...

YAY for it being over! Thanks for everything and for NOT posting the picture! ily

Dirt said...

Leigh -- this is unrelated to this post but: have you read your "About Me" section lately/carefully?

"I am dating a wonderful guy, Nathan Woodring... Other than that, my life is AMAZING"

Is that a Freudian slip? Ha! :)

The Holtons said...

I want to see the picture and Dirt is too funny!!!