Monday, August 16, 2010

Janet and Laurie's Surgery Day 5: We're Heading Home! (well half of us:()

Well Day 5 held some ups and downs for us! Laurie and I were awaken by 3 Dr's and a nurse at 5:40 AM for them to talk to her and tell her they were going to discharge her today. I was so excited for Laurie until about 7:00 AM when she told me she was really feeling bad. She had gone all night without any pain medicine or nausea medicine. Well that proved to not work very well for us. So after they left we called the nurse in there and boy she was amazing!! She immediately brought Laurie some nausea medicine and pain medicine. Laurie had to wait for a little bit to take the pain medicine til she could eat but ultimately she got the pain medicine through the IV and got a good nap til about noon. After that things seemed to pick up for us. Laurie started feeling better and ate something and took her pain medicine and before long she was up and walking around and talking to Janet again :) So about 4:00 PM we finally got everything together and got to walk, or roll out for Laurie, of the hospital! We were stoked! So the caravan loaded everything up...the caravan being Laurie and I in her car, Louise and mom in Louise's car, and Seth in his truck! :) We got home about 6:45 PM. Laurie is now in bed and settled. She did so good today even though she felt so bad and I couldn't be any prouder of her and everything she has done and given through all this. So bring on the visitors! :)

Janet woke up this morning in some pain also. She was having some cramps so I told her to buzz that nurse button and get some pain medicine....so she did! :) She got to feeling better a little bit but it's been a rough day for Janet. But she is strong and pushes through it! Janet and Chuck both have been amazing to us and I still covet your prayers for her and the next couple weeks as she will have to stay in Birmingham for the next couple of weeks!

Here is Laurie and Janet visiting today :)

Look at her go!!! She is gettin it! :)
Louise and Dad were helping her on her walk....or supporting her :)

Louise and I got a little bored while Laurie was napping.....I can't imagine why they were probably ready for us to leave! (Side story to the wheel chair....this is what we pushed mom around in since UAB is so so big and well you had to hold a bar down to push it....and well this was Louise trying to let go of the bar and the brakes catching and throwing me out! :) Isn't she so loving!)
And again.....I was very nervous!!! Look at my face! :)

This is one of our favorite Dr.'s!! She was so nice!! Only 26 years old but oh so nice! She really made us feel good!

This was our nurse Bert....she was absolutely GREAT today!! She was so super nice to Laurie and that made all the difference in the world!! :)
Well it's hard to believe that it's over. Well at least the surgery part....feels like we have been trying to schedule this for FOREVER! :) And now it's here and gone and we are at home. I get to sleep in my own bed! I go back to work tomorrow. Mom is here for the week to take care of Laurie. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. Please continue to pray for Laurie and Janet and both of their recoveries! :) They have both been so strong and amazing! I am so proud to know each one of them and I love them oh so much! :)

2 comments:

Steph said...

Leigh- I have loved reading your updates of this entire process. Thank you for sharing!! I am so proud of Laurie! Looks like you & your family have done an amazing job of supporting & taking care of her. Continuing to pray for you all!! -Stephanie Davis

The Adventures of Baby Bond said...

I can't wait to see ya'll today!! Morgan misses you, too!!!!